Friday 21 August 2009

Mana from heaven


At last, the plaster is off my right arm and, although my now lumpy right hand hurts like hell, I can tap away enough to play catch up on my MotoZania.com blogs and my first task is to comment on my June test ride on the Aprilia 850 Mana automatic. Yes you heard right - automatic.
Not as in squirt and go rubber band thingies but proper F1 Ferrari-style electronic split nano-second gear change through a proper box. AMAZING!
I fancied trying this bike after Bike magazine reported it was a good 'city' bike. I was advised to be sure and try all 3 change methods to see just how good it was. I started off following the mad boys at a fair old clip using my left foot as normal, minus the clutch. I gigantic gear counter told me in billboard size numbers which gear I was in. I swear I could read that number without looking down! It changed instantly without a glitch. The usual green-lights-all-the-way sod's law took effect so it was a while before I could try out the 'paddle' change. Press the rather obscure button under the usual horn position with your left thumb and hey presto the next gear up. A tad awkwardly, tap the paddle/switch back with your forefinger and you drop a cog. Easy as pie. Finally we got a red light and I thumbed through the menu to full automatic. Now the boys were warmed up and really setting a pace so I was glad to focus on just keeping up throttle and avoiding their arses with the superb brakes. I LOVED this bike. All I had to do was twist and brake and swallow hard at the corners as I chased the lads. After a few lairy moments I began to revel in the fact that I could just focus on leaning hard and watching out for the 20mph Nissan Micra drivers - the 'white-knuckle brigade'. The more I rode hard (for me) the more amazed I was at the way the Mana 850 always seemed to be in exactly the right gear for the conditions. Of course an experienced track day hero would likely scoff, but for me it was the surprise bike of my life. I rode the naked version and I am not a lover of naked bikes (I HATE wind blast).
The styling doesn't do a lot for me but the practicality with storage is excellent. I could tour Italy on the faired version of this baby. Whatever you do, before you buy any new bike, grab yourself a test ride on this bike if only for the giggle.
Oh no, I sound like a dodgy sales git don't I? I cannot understand why they don't put this 850 engine in the Dorsoduro though.
The Aprilia website lists the features as follows:

• 90° V twin engine with four valves per cylinder, Euro 3 homologated

• sportgear transmission: electronically controlled sequential gearshift offering two shift modes seven speed manual or Autodrive with three mappings: Touring, Sport, and Rain

• storage compartment with non-scratch lining, large enough for a full-face helmet, with mobile phone holder, toolkit & document holder, and 12V power socket

• under-seat fuel tank

• brakes with radial calipers

• 43 mm upside down fork

• offset monoshock with spring preload and rebound adjustments

• steel trellis frame with single piece aluminium swingarm

• twin spark ignition

• electronic fuel injection with single throttle body

• latest generation two channel ABS system (ABS version only)

No comments:

Post a Comment