Tuesday 21 September 2010

Lethaly slow...

Sunday June 6th 2010. 4:30am. I wake up. As in 'BOING' eyes like golf balls in egg cups. I was heading off at about 7am to join the Bike Magazine Save Our 60s protest ride. Well, protest may be a tad strong for our 'revolution' ride. It seemed more like we were saying "Excuse me Sir Mr. Politician but would you mind awfully if we trundled about a bit and begged you to keep the 60mph speed limit? At least in one or two places? Pretty, pretty please?"
I left too early and killed too much time over a CostaLotta coffee at South Mimms motorway stop (who ever came up with that name?) I therefore arrived just in time at the Bike offices car park to see a fair few bikers and Simon Hargreaves of Bike magazine on the roof of some portacabin attempting to explain things. We were all so well behaved one could hardly describe it as a protest. Just in front of my pigface RSV was a beautiful 04 Aprilia RSV. Very sexy and modern. What a difference a year makes... The point of the ride from Bike magazine's perspective was probably more about gauging readership and their loyalty/support. The scenery as we rode out from Peterborough was astounding. I had no idea that there were such biscuit-tin beautiful villages. I love the old stone bridges. So quaint they are corny. Love it.
We were headed to Melton Mowbray (of pork pie fame folks) and we all knew to ride staggered and no overtaking. No speeding, no wheelies and drive-by shooting of Rover drivers was mildly discouraged too. Pity.The ride was uneventful until we nearly lost the leaders of this tortuously twisting B-road blockade due to some little fart on a Harley. He was supposed to be protesting that 60mph was a sane speed yet he never went over 29mph!!! Lethaly slow. Finally, the exasperated 04 Aprilia rider blasted past him as the pack disappeared into some tiny country road. We all overtook the little nerd who I noted was the same size in all directions. Naturally. 
In Melton Mowbray I topped up my disappearing clutch fluid (I've since learned it's just the O ring and it will be done at the next service) and queued for ages as hundreds of bikers waited for one little old lady to make one styrofoam cup of tea at a time and take the cash. Short notice of our arrival she cheerfully said. Absolutely no concept of making 20 cups at once and then just handing them over. Nope, each one received its teabag and she stirred it and squeezed out the bag. Good time to chat to other bikers. I managed a quick chat with a few of the staff whose articles I really enjoy and then I split from the protest ride and relished some sweeping country roads home. A good day out, a good cause and please can we protest some more sir?.
P.S. Bike magazine even printed one of my silly comments. Fame at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment