Friday 19 August 2011

Bikes, Babes, Booze, Bands, Beer-Bellies, Bald, Bearded, Bad its the Bulldog Bash.

I have never seen so many bald, bearded men outside of a monastery. So many looked like bulldogs I figured that's how the gathering got its name! I'll back up a bit. Friday 12th August saw me riding my absolutely-opposite-to-Harley BMW F800GS along the rather tedious A3/M25/M40 to get to the gorgeous countryside around Stratford-on-Avon. I am not a Harley guy, but for MotoZania.com I was pleased to attend the Bulldog Bash at the Shakespeare County Raceway up in Warwickshire. I chose Friday because that was the night that Status Quo were playing. I pretty much knew what I'd see. Lots of Hells Angels and other biker gangs/groups/clubs. What surprised me was the friendliness, politeness and helpfulness of everyone. In spite of the place looking like a reunion party of axe murderers all these tough-looking guys were really most pleasant even when hammered on beer and dancing like madmen to Bad Manners. If they bumped you whilst staggering past they apologised like gentlemen. Most amusing. There was no shortage of 'hard cases' though so I went my meek and mild way to the various attractions.I arrived with just enough daylight to get some snaps of bikes and babes, enjoy an expensive beer and try some of the hog roast. I think I got the roasted air filter in my bun. I wandered about a bit then heard an almighty roar that made me leg it to the drag strip. I've never been to a drag race. The jet-powered car was unbelievable and ripped down the track in 6 odd seconds. trying to snap a photo from the stands was... ahhhh... challenging. One has to be rather quick.
I made sure to get as close as possible to the enormous concert stage. I felt a tad out of place with my neat new textile suit, off-road helmet and an American Axion backpack that the Brits reckon looks like a Hoover (read vacuum cleaner) on my back. Everyone else was in sleeveless vests of denim or leather covered by a million badges from events all over the world. I heard French and German spoken too so the get together is obviously well known in Europe.
In spite of looking like a goldfish at a vulture's feast everyone smiled and nodded and just got into the atmosphere of bikes, booze and bands. Needless to say, once the horns got blaring from Bad Manners and the ska guitars got chinking away the whole crowd was jumping. I reckon 10,000 on Friday night but it could have been more. There was an erie silence as everyone shuffled tighter and forward for Status Quo. Quo are an English rock legend that capitalised on the simple 3 chord, hammer-on 12 bar blues/rock pattern that has had people (like my parents in war-torn London) dancing from Glen Millar's 'In The Mood' big-band boogy style through 'Blue Suede Shoes' to Clapton and beyond. NO ONE CAN STAND STILL. As soon as Quo broke into Rockin All Over The World it was dance mayhem. The bass drum made my Hoover backpack jump and the crowd LOVED them. Simple but effective. They finished at 11pm. I wandered back to my BMW still dancing and singing in my helmet. A friendly couple on a Suzuki 600 Bandit that looked as out-of-place as me chatted to me about the BMW as I clobbered up for the long ride home. He was bored with a Jap 4 and wanted a twin again. It was quite chilly as I rode home so I stopped at a beautiful pub on the outskirts of Banbury and fitted the inner lining to my jacket. I even used the heated grips! Home at 2am. 66mpg average. 80-90mph most of the way. I just liked the twisty A286 from Milford to Haslemere. Bulldog Bash will be a must again next year. LOADS of bands. And rather friendly monks too.
Warm Welcome at the gate
Good light show too

Even the trucks have to scare you
Camped up right outside
Rick Parfitt Status Quo


The other Rossi
What IS this?
The THING close up
Triumph of colour and chrome
Forks and more forks
Brotherhood of Street Racers
What a way to go!



Hells Angel from Ireland
Rocket dragster blows past
That was fast
Happy Bunny




Ford Fairlane custom car

Bulldog Bash images
Dragster takes off


Start them young

2 comments:

  1. Much love to the Brotherhood of Street Racers Europe.

    Brotherhood of Street Racers SoCal- USA
    [IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/ethelkilledfred/BSR%20Apparel/Car%20Craft%20Feb%202012/BSRHottie.jpg[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to here from the BSR in Europe contact us at this forum-

    http://bsr-international.ning.com/

    ReplyDelete