Tuesday 21 July 2009

Aprilia - Soggy Surrey test ride


Whilst I was in America Aprilia Emailed me.
Well, maybe not just me. I suppose a lot of bikers got that email. I was invited to try out several Aprilia bikes at their Box Hill, Surrey test day. I signed up, flew back from Phoenix turnip-truck class with a long stop in Houston to guarantee maximum jet-lag. Young dorks with face-masks terrified of swine flu sat in the food area at germ ridden plastic tables. This is an airport that announces that cracking jokes can get you arrested! Eedjuts!
I was to ride to Box Hill 3 days later and I knew I would be shaky with fatigue. That Saturday the weather was iffy not spiffy. Not many were at the damp(ish) event when I arrived for my 1pm test ride. The reception was casual, cordial, and confidence inspiring. I met the regional Manager for Aprilia who enthusiastically assured me that I would be surprised and delighted with their bikes.
Heck, I was sold on Aprilia a long time ago as riders on the 60 degree V-twin RSV Mille thundered past my house causing structural damage with the most exquisite sounding twin I know. Now the old pig-face RSV was not a beauty but the current crop of bikes are drop-dead gorgeous in my view with the RSV4 being just stunning (It was ‘on show only’ although the obliging and enthusiastic boys did start it up for our aural pleasure). Most of the visitors stared at it, bowed and muttered “We are not worthy”.
My 1pm ride was on the Dorsoduro and I was very keen to see how at home I felt on that 750 supermoto.
There were only a few of us going out onto the narrow, twisting A and B roads of Surrey. I was used to the sedate pace set by the test-ride leaders in Arizona. Well that expectation was blown within 30 seconds! As the highly experienced riders set a pace I was surprised at I began to see what this bike could do. There was one snag. I wanted to ‘fiddle’ with the electronic settings but changing the settings on-the-go was less than ideal. I’ll quote the Aprilia web page
http://uk.aprilia.com/modelli/road/modello_txt.asp?id=154: Three performance modes, Sport, Touring and Rain, can be selected on the move from a switch on the handlebars (with the throttle closed for safety reasons). The Dorsoduro changes its character radically, depending on what mode you select. Sport mode gives you aggressive instant power; Touring mode gives you a smoother action, better suited to relaxed long distance riding; and Rain mode gives you ultimate safety slippery surfaces.
Note that one has to have a closed throttle and press the starter motor button as a menu selector. DUH! It was like my computer mouse. It would decide whether or not it was in the mood to make the changes I wanted. So within a few minutes I was praying for a good long red light. Have you ever noticed that when you WANT a red light (say to check a map) they are locked on green all the way to Scotland? I was used to Arizona where the lights are painted red and you wait months for a crew of Mexicans in a pick-up with a ladder to come and paint them green. I see skeletons in SUVs at the lights over there...
So here I was, fiddling with little clue as to what I was selecting because, although you can change on the go, trying to do so on a closed throttle is rather tricky. I don’t spend a lot of time in forward motion on a closed throttle! It was all fun-and-games as I attempted to keep up with Rocket man, trying to stay alive as we swooped like fighter jets on wimpy Rover dawdlers, and still trying to gain an impression of the overall handling and power at my disposal. My mind wandered to my debit card and the threat of financial self-destruction if I dropped this toy or embedded myself in the back of some old monument’s Micra. I realised I was getting tense as my annoyance rose with every green light. In the end I gave up and just laughed at the way Sod’s Law rules everything in the universe.
My overall impressions of the bike? Brill.

I used to love my old KLR650 in Munich as a great ‘see over the duffers’ tall tool so riding high on the thoroughly modern Aprilia Dorsoduro I was immediately in my ‘comfort zone’. The handling was easy and smooth and the low-speed abilities were great after my old R1. The brakes were amazing and a gentle hand was needed. I managed a small stoppie at the first roundabout as we left and quickly learned to caress the lever not yank it. I loved the Dorsoduro’s super-sharp brakes. I noticed that the slight buzz in the footpegs was lowest on Touring mode, significantly more in Sport mode and noticeable in Rain mode. These settings really do alter the characteristic and as it was drizzling on and off on parts of the ride I got to try Rain mode in a real situation. I eventually settled on Touring as my favourite although the Sport mode was great when I fell behind due to ‘nervous Nellies’ poodling along and faffing about in their OAP cars. We had a good long ride. In my humble opinion the bike is a very stylish winner and felt like quality workmanship. I especially liked the shark gills on the tail pipes that are so visible when following the Dorsoduro. The downside? I noticed the lower power of the 750 compared to my R1. Big deal.
Would I recommend it? Yup. But I need a much longer ride to really evaluate this baby. Anyway, you can go to
www.apriliadorsoduro.com and book a test ride at a dealer near you to see for yourself. And maybe ride at your own pace too.
Would I buy one? Hmmmm. That KTM 990 is still so strong in my heart.

Good: Styling. Quality. Engine is very nice. Varying modes are pretty useful. Dash is readable. Plug and play I say.
Bad: I’d prefer the 850 engine in it.
Ugly: Changing mode on the move is not really that easy. Overall: Very nice. I really liked it and I thought it was easy to ride right out of the box.
Want to Try Before I Buy: Ducati Hypermotard, Triumph Street Triple, Benelli Tre K1130,
Tech Specs:
Aprilia V90 four stroke longitudinal 90° V twin. Liquid cooling. Double overhead camshaft with mixed gear/chain drive; four valves per cylinder. Ride-by-Wire System
Bore x stroke 92 x 56.4 mm.
Total displacement 749.9 cc.
Compression ratio 11 : 1.
Maximum power at the crank 67.3 kW (92 HP) at 8750 rpm.
Maximum torque at the crank 8.4 kgm (82 Nm) at 4500 rpm.
Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire electronic throttle control.
Ignition Digital electronic, integrated in the fuel injection system.
Exhaust Two in one system in 100% stainless steel

Wet sump.
Six speed.
Hydraulically operated multi-plate wet clutch.
Final drive Chain.
Frame Modular steel trellis secured to aluminium side plates by high strength bolts. Detachable rear frame.
Front suspension: 43 mm upside-down fork. 160 mm wheel travel.
Rear suspension: Aluminium alloy swingarm. Hydraulic shock absorber adjustable in spring preload and rebound damping. 160 mm wheel travel.
Front Brakes: Double stainless steel wave floating wave disc 320 mm. Four-piston radial calipers. Metal braided brake line.
Rear Brakes: Stainless steel disc 240 mm with single piston caliper. Metal braided brake line.
2-channel Continental ABS system (ABS version)
Aluminium alloy wheels. Front: 3.50 x 17". Rear: 6.00 x 17".
Front: 120/70 ZR 17. Rear: 180/55 ZR 17.
Seat height: 870 mm
Wheelbase: 1,505 mm
Trail: 108 mm
Rake angle: 26°
Tank capacity 12 litres (approx.125 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment