Wednesday 25 November 2009

MotoZania Meet, bad weather, NEC, Tuono memories.

OK, first off, the MotoZania Meet will be at 5pm this Sunday November 29th at The Swan, Haslemere, Surrey. With the horrid weather we've been having I hope some will come. Flaming Henry but it's been abysmal. Dark, wet, violent winds and every flippin' day for weeks on end!
This Saturday I'm off to Birmingham to the NEC to see the latest bikes, meet with a motorcycle tour operator and also with Superbike at some posh hotel. They appear to want my opinions. Ha! Fools! I'll only rant and rail against speed cameras and the insane 'safety' paranoia of our nanny state...
No I won't. I'll answer their questions about my favourite bikes and the REAL question they always want...'when is my insurance up for renewal'...I wonder why? I'll take the camera. Pictures up soon.
Sarcasm aside, I'm still mending but not fast enough or well enough. I see the bikers go by and eat my heart out with envy. Oh well, good for them.
Got me thinking about the Aprilia Tuono I test rode. WOW! It was riding a hurricane that had bred with a tornado and picked up a comfy saddle as it blew through the countryside. The thunderous V-Twin was immensely powerful and the throttle action was instant and explosive. The brakes were beyond awesome. I'm used to smooth fours that, although powerful and fast, don't FEEL as fast or exciting. By the time I was riding the Tuono the lads in the group were 'on to it' and one skillful chap was wheelying past me at some ungodly speed. I just focused on keeping up but the overriding sensation was thunderous, instant, controllable power. I want one NOW! In fact, it impressed me so much that I have put the Aprilia RSV at the top of my 'next bike' list. Why the RSV and not the Tuono? I'm not into naked bikes because I find wind blast the most tiring of all the forces one faces when riding long distances.
May I quote from the Aprilia website? http://www.aprilia.com/
· New V 60 Magnesium Evolution engine
· Dynamic air intake (the only naked with ram air technology)
· Electronic fuel injection system with 57 mm throttle bodies
· 16 bit engine management unit
· Exhaust system with twin silencers and three way catalytic converter with Lambda probe oxygen sensor
· Aluminium alloy perimeter frame
· Double banana aluminium swingarm
· Lighter steering yoke
Once again Aprilia has succeeded in producing an exclusive, refined and unique naked. The latest Tuono 1000 R remains the most sought after of all naked twins, and the perfect synthesis of exclusive components, quality, technology and finish.
Like the RSV, the Tuono has been perfected on the track to satisfy the most demanding and refined motorcyclists. Each individual part has been developed to maximise the performance and riding pleasure of a naked that is already a legend in racing circles.
Engine performance is better than ever. Maximum power is 102 kW (139 HP) at the crank and maximum torque 10.9 kgm at only 8,500 rpm. The Aprilia Tuono 1000 R is therefore among the most powerful of all nakeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment