Wednesday 3 March 2010

Interview with Racing creations UK

I met with Paul Coltman in a pub in Farnborough. It was my first time out on my new Aprilia RSV Mille and his first words were "Brilliant choice for a road bike" so that cheered me up!
Paul is just 28 years old (so I hate him) yet so experienced I wondered where I had gone wrong with my life! He teaches motor vehicles at Farnbourough Tech, runs a MotoX team, a motorcycle repair and design business, supports the Naomi House Hospice (http://www.naomihousehospice.co.uk/) and still has time to meet with the likes of me. Needless to say, there were a few sponsor phone calls during our meeting.
Paul has been riding since 6 years of age (Suzuki RM50) and is fully trained on Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, KTM and probably all the others too! Paul's core business is his design work. The focus is on value for money. He and Kyle also service and repair bikes at a very acceptable £25 per hour and they know their stuff. I'll be getting Paul to look after the RSV for me for sure. They are based in Basingstoke in Hampshire and do tyres, race prep and performance tuning including flow testing exhausts and reprofiling cams yet they will do an ordinary service for you too. No snobbery here mate! Good blokes!
This a guy that built an 08 YamahaR1 to produce 208bhp AT THE REAR WHEEL! Apparently it did 138mph in 1st gear, 153mph in 2nd, 168mph in 3rd and 182mph in 4th. They didn't have enough track to test 5th and 6th but estimated top is in the region of 225mph. He also raced it against his tuned Busa and left it for dead. (Do NOT read this Peter Cameron!)
Racing Creations MX are contesting the BritishMX3 Open Championship, the Maxxis British Championships, Red Bull Pro National and the British 2-Stroke Championships and the Motorcycle Federation Silkolene Fuchs 2 stroke championship.
Zack Blackwell, 23, a British Junior Champion will ride the Yamaha 250 2 stroke and Brett Wheeler, also 23, will be on the 2009 Yamaha 450 four stroke.
JK: What's your favourite circuit?
Paul: Maisemore in Somerset near the Cheddar Gorge. It's beautiful and well set up.
JK: How many people constitute the Racing Creations MX team?
Paul: There are six of us in all including my wife.
JK: What size of audience attend a MX event?
Paul: MX3 2-3,000 at £15 a ticket, Red Bull events pull 10,000+ ... same sort of price.
JK: TV exposure for your sponsors?
Paul: Most definitely. Sky Sports Max Power, Extreme TV, Blood Sweat and Gears...
JK: Indoor and outdoor events?
Paul: In 2010 we'll be contesting 23 outdoor meets and 5 indoor, all towards the end of the season. Liverpool Echo Arena, NEC, O2 Arena London and the MEN in Manchester.
JK: How do you rate your chances?
Paul: I won't set impossible hopes but I reckon Zak in the top 3 and Brett top 20's in MX3 and Pro Nationals.
JK: Sponsors?
Paul: Besides MotoZania.com too many to name off the top of my head! Go to our website http://www.racingcreationsuk.co.uk/LinksandTeamsponsors.html  for all the info.
JK: So how would you summarise your services?
Paul: 1.service and maintenance work on all makes and models how ever many wheels.
2.high performance tuning and setup on all types of bikes and systems including susupension. 3.tyres.
4.clothing and accessories.
If its something you want or need I can get it or sort it, so just give me a call or email me.

Now if you fancy meeting Paul and his team and the bikes come to the Haslemere Fire Station's 'Ready To Ride' event on Sunday April 18th. Town centre, loads of free parking and Wetherspoon's The Swan do cheap food and loads of non-alcoholic drinks for a safe ride home.
I'll be there at the Extra Mile Bike Tours stand. My RSV will be with me. I expect I'll get the usual verbal abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment